- How are spiders involved in your process?
- No spiders are harmed in the making of Bolt Threads Engineered Silk™ fibers! In fact, there are no spiders at all in the process. We originally studied real spiders’ silk, to understand the relationship between the spiders’ DNA and the characteristics of the fibers they make. Today’s technology allows us to make those proteins without using spiders—which is a big relief to the arachnophobes among us.
- I’ve heard many announcements over the years from groups claiming to have “solved” the problem of producing spider silk. How are you different from those previous claims?
- Not only are we already actually producing our Engineered Silk™ fibers at commercial scale, we are doing it at a cost that makes it viable for widespread use in consumer products such as apparel. No one else has done that.
- Is your DNA actually from spiders?
- No, it’s not. We look at the DNA of spiders and then create sequences engineered for product performance. The whole process is informed by our understanding of how spiders make silks.